Monday, December 7, 2009

Peter Again

I said we never hear about Peter, and suddenly he's being mentioned by everyone. I read two letters in today's papers that included the quote from Peter 1:8: Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goes about seeking whom he may devour. There is the feeling of being devoured at the present. But there is also an unstoppable spring of hope within me, and I dont know why that should be. Can anyone tell me why I feel most hopeful when things are most bleak? It's something about learning...age has taught me that a day when you truly learn is a day when you truly live, all true learning draws us closer to God, and we learn by suffering.

As a child learning bored me. I got it into my head the first time, but the class kept on repeating it and the teacher fretted about whether or not we really knew it, and by the time they were finished I had no use for that beaten up rag of knowledge. I liked to forget stuff that did'nt entertain me. Now I can only learn through suffering. What does this suffering tell me? That I cannot imagine my life without the Church. Lord, look not on our sins but on the faith of Your Church, and grant us the peace and unity of your kingdom, where we will live for ever and ever.

No comments: